Mission Innovation workshops on clean energy innovation research and development opportunities help countries gather expert guidance from leading scientists to inform R&D investment decisions and identify areas of potential collaboration.
The workshops are one of several methods that MI members are undertaking to frame their clean energy research portfolios. The workshops can also inspire the research community to take action to solve some of the toughest challenges faced by energy innovation, facilitate capacity building and intergovernmental collaboration, and ultimately spur transformational change.
A How-To Guide provides a step-by-step approach to assist MI members with planning and executing an R&D Opportunities Workshop. The concept for the workshops was presented in a paper offered by the United States as a method for encouraging input from world class experts in the identification of powerful opportunities for research.
As part of the multiyear work programs of the Innovation Challenges, several countries have hosted or are planning to host MI R&D opportunities workshops.
IC#7 Research Planning Workshop
September 27-28, 2018
Download workshop brochure
- Clean Energy Materials Innovation Challenge Industry Meeting
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
May 9, 2018
- Clean Energy Materials Innovation Challenge Workshop II
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
15-16 March 2018
- Second Mission Innovation International Workshop on Smart Grids Innovation Challenge
New Delhi, India
16-19 November 2017
- Affordable Heating and Cooling Innovation Challenge Workshop
Abu Dhabi, UAE
1-2 November 2017
- Mission Innovation Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage Experts’ Workshop
Led by the United States and Saudi Arabia
Houston, Texas, USA
25-29 September 2017
- Clean Energy Materials Innovation Challenge Workshop
Led by Mexico and the United States, in partnership with CIFAR (Canada)
Mexico City, Mexico
11-14 September 2017
- First Mission Innovation International Workshop on Smart Grids Innovation Challenge
Organized by IEECAS (China), RSE (Italy) and IITR (India)
4-6 June 2017
Workshop summary (document)
Workshop summary (video)