MI member representatives met in Santiago, Chile, at the end of January 2019 to assess progress towards delivering the MI Action Plan, to discuss how to advance key initiatives to deliver real impacts and to plan for the 4th MI Ministerial in Vancouver in May.
Successes since the launch of MI three years ago include:
- the development of a global network of clean energy innovation influencers amongst member countries
- a $3 billion annual increase in investment in clean energy RD&D
- approximately 40 collaborations between members and exciting new initiatives, such as the Global Cooling Prize, to accelerate clean energy innovation
- improved sharing of RD&D priorities amongst members, through the Innovation Challenges, to avoid duplication
Members are keen to build on these strong foundations to achieve more ambitious collaboration and to address challenges including:
- making the link between domestic innovation investment and MI
- tracking progress of innovation to enable MI to be agile and responsive to the moving frontier of innovation
- engaging the private sector in clean energy innovation and with MI
- sharing stories on breakthroughs to engage and inspire the brightest minds to create solution-orientated approaches
Please watch for opportunities to get involved in addressing these challenges in the coming months through the MI member survey, including a request for success stories and spreading the word about the importance of clean energy innovation at events and on social media.
During the Gathering in Santiago, the membership was pleased to welcome Renu Swarup of India and Robert Andrén of Sweden as Vice-Chairs of the MI Steering Committee. In addition, Prof John Loughhead of the UK was approved as the next Chair from June 2019.
Under the strategic guidance of the MI Steering Committee and with the support of MI members and our collaborators, the MI Secretariat and MI Sub-Groups are working to turn the exciting ideas shared in Santiago into reality in advance of MI-4.
Take a look at the images and comments from Santiago @MICleanEnergyRD and read more about the plans for MI-4 here.