Italy joined MI in 2015 considering the crucial role of RD&D activities in the clean energy sector to reach the decarbonisation targets: MI is a strategic opportunity to accelerate public and private investments in clean energy technologies and promote new international sectorial collaborations.
Mission Innovation acts as pivotal initiative for the public RD&D energy research, development and innovation activities. Within other results, MI contributed to:
- allocate new public financing sources dedicated to RD&D activities in the clean energy sector;
- develop new bilateral agreements of Scientific and Technological Cooperation among international public research centers (i.e. Italy/India Cooperation agreement on Joint application for Strategic key programme for international scientific technological cooperation– RSE – Roorkee);
- enforce the collaboration among the National Research Centres involved in the development of cleantech activites;
- favour the synergy among the Ministries and given substance and resources to the Italian R&I activities planned under our 5th Dimension (R&I&C) of the National Energy and Climate Plan (NECP) set at European level;
- present to national stakeholders the opportunities that innovative clean technologies and international collaborations can offer (i.e. green hydrogen);
- promote sectorial excellences at global level (i.e. MI Champions).
Under MI, Italy set up The Hydrogen Task Force gathering the national public and private stakeholders active in the H2 sector in order to promote the development of green hydrogen projects.
Italy has also promoted The Smart Grids Innovation Accelerator (SGIA), a cloud-based online platform to share policy, regulatory, technical and financial knowledge related to smart grid solutions. By centralizing this information into one database, IC1 seeks to share best practices, promote replication, enhance public-private collaboration and information sharing, and foresees upcoming enabling technologies and business models.
Through this activity, and thanks to MI, IC1 members, including Italy, are strengthening cross-border networks: they are combining their expertise and experiences into a central repository and they are engaging stakeholders on opportunities to contribute to and benefit from the platform.
Italy is proud to be member of MI and looks forward to promoting its activities at national and global level. Moreover, Italy is strongly committed to involve their excellences active at public and private level in the new sectoral Missions set by MI 2.0.