Role in MI
- Participates in the Mission Innovation Steering Committee
- Participates in the Business and Investor Engagement Sub-Group
- Co-leads the Off-Grid Access to Electricity Innovation Challenge
- Participates in the:
- Smart Grids Innovation Challenge
- Carbon Capture Innovation Challenge
- Sustainable Biofuels Innovation Challenge
- Converting Sunlight Innovation Challenge
- Clean Energy Materials Innovation Challenge
- Affordable Heating and Cooling of Buildings Innovation Challenge
- Renewable and Clean Hydrogen Innovation Challenge
Progress towards doubling public investment
Country-determined baseline year(s): 2012-2014
Baseline funding amount: EUR €440 million (USD $494 million)
Doubling target year: 2020
Doubling target amount: EUR €880 million (USD $989 million)
From 2015 (Year 1), Fundamental research is integrated in the calculation of the French R&D public funding in the field of new technologies for energy.
In addition to the figures here-above, it shall be stressed that a significant public support is as well brought by France to nuclear R&D (approximately €500 million). However, the financing of these activities is not part of the French financial commitments taken under MI.
News and events
Under the Innovative solutions for off grid access to energy competition, nine projects have been selected to receive a total of €1.8M from France’s ADEME. The projects cover a range of renewable energy technologies (hybrid systems, solar, river stream generator and biomass), but also different uses of electricity to enhance economic development (irrigation, agriculture, desalination and mobility).