MI Steering Committee Vice Chair
Assistant Deputy Minister, Energy Technology, Natural Resources Canada
MI Steering Committee member
Director-General, Office of Energy Research & Development, Energy Technology Sector, Natural Resources Canada
Role in Mission Innovation
- Member of the Mission Innovation Steering Committee (Vice-Chair)
- Participates in the Mission Innovation Secretariat
- Member of the Clean Hydrogen Mission
- Supports the Green Powered Future Mission
- Contributes to the Innovation Platform (Insights and Collaborate modules)
News and events
- [June 2, 2021] Canada joins Mission Innovation members in launching MI2.0 and a decade of clean energy innovation to accelerate achieving the Paris Agreement Goals
- Canada celebrates five years of collaboration under Mission Innovation
- Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada announces 10 winning clean energy innovations at Globe 2020 Forum (March 2020)
- Champions Corner: Sean Monkman (November 2019)
- Canada partners with Breakthrough Energy to launch game-changing program to accelerate clean energy innovations (May 23, 2019)
MI Champions is a program for recognizing and supporting the next wave of energy technology leaders.
Meet Canada’s Champions!
Participation in MI’s first phase
- Hosted MI-4, the 4th MI Ministerial
- Participated in the Mission Innovation Steering Committee
- Participated in the Mission Innovation Secretariat
- Co-led the Analysis and Joint Research Sub-Group
- Participated in the Business and Investor Engagement Sub-Group
- Supported the Ministerial Planning Team
- Co-led the:
- Participated in the:
- (First phase) Plans and Priorities
- HIGHLIGHTS IN 2017
- HIGHLIGHTS IN 2018
- HIGHLIGHTS IN 2019
- (First phase) Innovation Breakthroughs
Clean Energy Innovation investment (MI 1.0)
Country-determined baseline year(s): FY 2014-15
Baseline funding amount: CAD $387 million (USD $295 million)
Doubling target year: FY 2019-20
Doubling target amount: CAD $775 million (USD $590 million)
*Figures in the spending chart are based on USD exchange rates in 2021.
Canada has met and exceeded the MI doubling pledge in the first phase, reporting $786.8M CAD for fiscal year 2019-20, $11.8M CAD above the $775M CAD target.
Statistics Canada administers an annual survey of private sector spending on energy research and development (excluding demonstration) – see Industrial energy research and development expenditures by area of technology, by industry group.