Mr. Patrick Child
MI Steering Committee Chair
Deputy Director General, Research and Innovation, European Commission
Ms. Anna Krzyzanowska
MI Steering Committee member
Adviser, Directorate General for Research and Innovation, European Commission
Role in Mission Innovation
- Chairs the Mission Innovation Steering Committee
- Participates in the Mission Innovation Secretariat
- Co-leads the Clean Hydrogen Mission
- Supports the Green Powered Future Mission
- Contributes to the Innovation Platform (Insights, Accelerate, and Collaborate modules – co-leads the Innovation Community on Affordable Heating and Cooling of Buildings, IC7)
News and events
- [June 2, 2021] European Union joins Mission Innovation members in launching MI2.0 and a decade of clean energy innovation to accelerate achieving the Paris Agreement Goals
- European Union celebrates Mission Innovation’s 5-year anniversary: Successful collaboration remembered through 5 major achievements
- On October 17, 2018, Carlos Moedas, Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, and Bill Gates, Chairman of Breakthrough Energy Venture, signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish Breakthrough Energy Europe (BEE), a joint investment fund that will help innovative European companies develop and bring to market radically new clean energy technologies.
- On 22 May, 2018, the MI Secretariat, the International Energy Agency and the European Commission Joint Research Centre held a joint workshop to enhance the collection and understanding of data on public and private spending on energy RD&D.
- The European Commission is offering several clean energy innovation funding opportunities.
MI Champions is a program for recognizing and supporting the next wave of energy technology leaders.
Meet the European Commission’s Champions!
Participation in MI’s first phase
- Participated in the Mission Innovation Steering Committee
- Participated in the Mission Innovation Secretariat
- Participated in the Analysis and Joint Research Sub-Group
- Participated in the Business and Investor Engagement Sub-Group
- Co-led the:
- Participated in the:
- (First phase) PLANS AND PRIORITIES
- HIGHLIGHTS IN 2017
- HIGHLIGHTS IN 2018
- HIGHLIGHTS IN 2019
- (First phase) INNOVATION BREAKTHROUGHS
Clean Energy Innovation investment (MI 1.0)
Country-determined baseline year(s): 2013-2015
Baseline funding amount: EUR €989 million (USD $1.1 billion)
Doubling target year: 2020
Doubling target amount: EUR €1.974 billion (USD $2.2 billion)
*Figures in the spending chart are based on USD exchange rates in 2021