Miguel Arias Cañete
Role in MI
- Participates in the Mission Innovation Steering Committee
- Participates in the Mission Innovation Secretariat
- Participates in the Analysis and Joint Research Sub-Group
- Participates in the Business and Investor Engagement Sub-Group
- Co-leads the:
- Participates in the:
Progress towards doubling public investment
Country-determined baseline year(s): 2013-2015
Baseline funding amount: EUR €989 million (USD $1.1 billion)
Doubling target year: 2020
Doubling target amount: EUR €1.974 billion (USD $2.2 billion)
* For 2016: since not all projects have been signed, the actual spending might still increase.
News and events
- On October 17, 2018, Carlos Moedas, Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, and Bill Gates, Chairman of Breakthrough Energy Venture, signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish Breakthrough Energy Europe (BEE), a joint investment fund that will help innovative European companies develop and bring to market radically new clean energy technologies.
- On 22 May, 2018, the MI Secretariat, the International Energy Agency and the European Commission Joint Research Centre held a joint workshop to enhance the collection and understanding of data on public and private spending on energy RD&D.
- Horizon 2020, the multi-annual programme for research and innovation of the European Union (EU), is launching two new funding opportunities for thermal storage projects to support the implementation of the MI Innovation Challenge 7: Affordable Heating and Cooling of Buildings. Deadlines are in February 2019
- €1.5 million Horizon Prize for CO2 reuse for innovative products utilising CO2 that could significantly reduce atmospheric emissions of CO2 when deployed on a commercial scale. Deadline: 3 April, 2019
- €1 million Horizon Prize for a hospital that has an innovative and perfectly integrated Combined Heat and Power (CHP) installation within its premises. Deadline: 3 April, 2019
- €3.5 million Horizon Prize: Cleanest engine of the future to stimulate the development of next generation engine and powertrain technologies using conventional fuels. Deadline: August 20, 2019
- Converting Sunlight to storable chemical energy topic within the Work Programme for Horizon 2020, the European Union’s Research and Innovation programme. Requirement to include least one non-EU MI member. Budget: €6 million. Deadline: 27 August 2019
- The current Horizon 2020 Call for Proposals from the European Commission for “Low carbon industrial production using CCUS” encourages collaboration with MI member countries. €33 million is available for proposals submitted by 27 August 2019
- €5 million Fuel from the Sun: Artificial Photosynthesis prize for a fully functional, experimental prototype device of a fuel production system, integrating the entire artificial photosynthesis process from light capture to fuel production. Deadline: 3 February 2021